"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

TOO MUCH BAGGAGE











Way back, when I started buying and selling old stuff, I purchased many pieces of old luggage. I had good intentions. I was going to decorate and install new fabrics and bric-a-brac inside. Good intentions I said. It took far longer than I had anticipated and I don't sew. I have finally, after more than a decade, gotten rid of most of that baggage. These are a few that I have left. I painted them and added old repro decals. I also painted a string of pearls, a necktie and an old brassiere coming out of the pieces, like someone was in a big hurry to leave.

Nowadays, I only want the rare and unusual kind. LV and the like. Only problem is, I don't see much of that around these parts and don't have the stomach to buy it on ebay. Maybe, I just don't need all the old baggage.


8 comments:

trash talk said...

I have had and sold some killer luggage...not LV, but Hartmann. One set I could just have pictured an Atlanta belle going off to college with to capture a husband. It was mint, with her address tags and monograms! I still have one set of Hartmann that is black plaid...could you just die!!! Every time I think about selling it, I back out!
Yours are really clever. I don't sew OR paint!
Debbie

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I have bought so many things that I was going to change, paint, fix up, whatever, and never have. I too am always drawn to old luggage. Have a great day, Theresa

A Brit in Tennessee said...

The Hartmann luggage factory is in our local town, they have a wonderful outlet store.
I love antique/vintage luggage especially for storing all the photos inside.
Your luggage pieces are beautiful, you have such a talent and an eye for arts and crafts.
By the way, the picture of the garden fence on my blog is from Martha's Vineyard....I only wish the flowers were mine although the fence is identical to the one I have...
Love the old truck !

Cindy said...

You are so talented! I admire your painting...

Courtney said...

Oh the best of intentions... I have a number of projects that have never been completed either! The items you painted on the pieces is such a fun addition. I love vintage luggage as well and would die for some LV!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Hi Donna:D Love love love your suitcases! What a fun and fantastic paint job you gave them!! Too cute.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving the recipe for the Kale and Swiss Chard. I am making it today...sounds so yummy!

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

Like the baggage but I LOVE the old truck!!! Tootles, Janna

The Antiques Diva™ said...

It's so charming... the old truck with luggage! I have an antique/vintage luggage collection and I use the trunks to store scrapbooking supplies in one, painting supplies in another, each trunk has a different hobby folded away inside awaiting an upcoming creative journey!