"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Saturday, July 25, 2009

GARDEN JUNK er STATUARY

Some time ago, I showed this little garden area on my patio. I have now broken enough blue and white dishes to finish the edging. What I didn't point out was a particular piece of statuary.


I used to shop at a flea market and always went first to a man by the door from Missouri. One time, he had an old pineapple urn and this deer, which I now believe to be a lamb. It weighs a ton and seems to have a copper lining of some sort. The cement has old marbles and stones in it. Someone painted a dark brown over it at some point. Its eyes are glass; the pupils vertical like a goats eyes would be. Hence, the lamb....I think the lamb of God perhaps. You know where I'm going with this. I had asked the man from Missouri if he knew anything about it. He didn't. So instead of a garden statue, I believe it to be a statue that once sat atop a grave. Now, I know several years ago, there was talk in the business about not buying old grave markers or stones, but this was purchased before that time and I didn't know what it was.

Nevertheless, three letters are carved at the base between its feet. I sure hope L I Z doesn't mind that it's in my little garden. I'll take care of the lamb.

4 comments:

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

What a cool garden statue and deer.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

That is one cute little lamb...
Can you paint it with Sour milk and maybe you can get moss to start growing on it ?
You find the neatest items ;)

Cindy said...

I believe that "things" come into our lives because we are care takers.
The lamb came to you because you will take care of it!

I love the picture of the garden. Looks like lots of interesting things there!

Laura said...

Does finders keepers sound wrong??
I enjoyed visiting-

Laura