"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Friday, April 1, 2011

CHERRY BLOSSOMS (or Hanami)

I saw this movie the other night. Though not for everyone, I thought it profound... and beautiful... and heartbreaking: I think my life has been changed by it. CHERRY BLOSSOMS is a German film by Doris Dorrie from 2008. I saw it on the Sundance Channel. Set in Japan, it is about the end of life journey of an aging German couple. At the wife Trudi's prompting, they decide to take the trip she's always wanted, to Japan. Unbeknownst to her husband Rudi, the wife keeps his terminal diagnosis from him. Trudi had always loved Japan and her people, its culture; she had longed to travel there and study butoh dancing and see Mt. Fuji, but life, family, the rearing of their children got in the way. Her husband had always dismissed her dancing dreams and made a life for himself through his work. During a beautiful scene at the Baltic Sea on their journey to Japan, Trudi suddenly dies. Rudi is left alone, bereft and after burying her, heads to Japan to stay with his youngest son, who is not too happy having him there nor does he understand his father. Wearing his wife's clothing, her pearls; Rudi wonders around Tokyo trying to make sense of their loss; wants to somehow make it all up to his wife. One day he comes upon a young butoh dancer performing under cherry blossoms in a park. Though he is dressed in his wife's clothes, Yu, the dancer, doesn't respond; understands why he wears them. They journey together to find meaning. Watch the above video, THE DANCE OF SHADOWS. I'll talk more of butoh later. And the rest of this beautiful movie.

4 comments:

Kirsten Steen said...

I saw this film last year and loved it! Was so moved by it. Funny how it is that we often don't learn about, appreciate, give credit to those we love until they are gone. Thank you for reminding me of this film!
And...how was Paris?! Did you have a fabulous time? Do share...
Bon weekend,
Kirsten

I_am_Tulsa said...

wow...I had no idea there was such a movie!I'm going to find out how I can watch it here in Japan! I am so happy to "meet" you! I was born in Tulsa, hence the name!

Tess Kincaid said...

I adore this movie. One of my faves.

Cobalt Violet said...

How beautiful! It's going in the queue! :)
Thank you!