"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Williams Sonoma's New Pitch



Williams Sonoma is pushing the home garden and canning movement.  I think it is great.  They are selling seed packets, the Beekman Farm included, and twelve different kinds of canning jars.  I am not familiar with the Kilner brand from France, but have used the German Weck jars before. Having recently had to look for the regular Ball and Kerr jars, I assume many more people are canning now.  If you don't garden, go to your farmer's market and get started.  It's a very good thing.

6 comments:

trash talk said...

Now this is just my take, but I think canning was one of the few things that women of past generations actually looked forward to. I know my grandmother and mother worked in perfect harmony while they canned. I do know we were the happy recipients of the fruit of their labor!
Mmmm...spiced peaches, strawberry jam, candied pickles, homemande salsa, fresh green beans...thinking of those shiny jars makes my mouth water...even after all these years.
Good for WS for trying to urge a trend that should be a staple.
Debbie

jerilanders said...

I haven't canned anything in a decade. But this years tomato and pepper crop is truly amazing and we may just put up quarts and quarts of salsa. There is something so satisfying about canning, I had nearly forgotten what a pleasant endeavor it is.

It's Just Dottie said...

I am new to canning and collecting my jars.So far I have pickled some beets and made Paula Deen's pickled eggs. Today I am doing peppers!!!
Smiles,Dottie

donna baker said...

Kudos to those of you who try it. It really is easy and tastes way better than the stores 3 or 4 species of fruit, etc. It is organic if you want it to be and much cheaper. I am very happy that Williams-Sonoma is introducing a new generation to it.

Elaine Warner said...

Hi Donna, I'm a free-lance writer and I'd really like to talk to you about doing an article on you. Check me out at www.okietravel.com. I've followed your blog for a long time and you amaze me with your many talents. You can contact me through my web site or at okietravel@yahoo.com. Please let me know if you got this message and if you're interested in visiting about the possibility of an article.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

My tomato plants are popping out fruit like fireworks.
I need to be canning!