"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Salt Of The Earth



After a huge storm knocked over one of my lemon trees, I decided to use a green Ponderosa lemon to make a citrus salt.  



I zested said lemon for one tablespoon and combined it with 1/2 cup of flaked sea salt, rubbing the two together to mix well.



I spread the mixture in a line across a parchment covered baking sheet and left it in a 225 degree oven for one hour.  After it cooled, I put it in a salt cellar and can't wait to try it on something.

FYI ~ Did you know salt has been harvested for 8000 years?  Animals and humans would die without it (and/or die from too much of it).  Wars have been fought over salt.  Egyptians burials contained salt.  In 1930, Gandhi led 100,000 people in a march to make their own salt, which was illegal under British rule.  This act of civil disobedience avoided the salt tax and changed the course of history.  And, salt of the earth comes from the book of Matthew in the Christian Bible, from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. Just a few salt factoids.

4 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What interesting facts, I only knew we can't do without salt in our bodies !
Great idea to use the lemon to flavour the salt, I bet it would perfect on fish :)
~Jo

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Donna - first and foremost - love your picture on your header...looks lovely. I must try this recipe...bet it would be delicious on grilled chicken. Wonderful information about salt as well. I know food without it tastes very blah! Have a great day.

jerilanders said...

As a serious saltaholic, I find your lemon salt most appetizing!

Cobalt Violet said...

Wow I'm so behind on your blog! This salt looks like a great idea! How was it? I'm guessing you have tried it by now!
Those carrots look so yummy in the previous post and I like the container gardens ... I want to copy you, but I need a patio first!