"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Oh June


"How did it get so late so soon?"
Dr. Seuss

Where have you gone sweet June?  Can it be nearly over?  I had much to do.  Got some of it done, but not nearly enough.  July will be too hot to do anything outside, but I'll spend much of it canning and freezing the garden's bounty.

"It was June, and the world smelled of roses.  The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside."
Maud Hart Lovelace

"What is one to say about June, the time of perfect young summer, the fulfillment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade."
Gertrude Jekyll

7 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

She's speeding by.....I'm busy cooking fresh green beans and new red potatoes, sautéed squash, and the first fresh tomato, June has given up her bounty !
Canning and freezing, lots of work but ooh, how you'll enjoy in those cold Winter months.
Sweet.
~Jo

RachelD said...

Bounty and more. We have no garden at all this year, but have access to many lavishly-tended Farmers' Markets, overflowing with each season's good things. And scarce a country road without a "tomatoes" sign lettered on wood, and soon a "FRESH CORN" time will happen upon the land.

Just those two things for a Summer Supper---a bowl of Chris' creamed corn, just cut and cooked, and another of cut tomatoes, and bite-dips alternating between the two. MIssing a swimmin' hole, a blackberry bramble, and a set of Mammaw's colorful metal tea glasses covered with frost, 'twill serve.

I DO have a two-pound papaya in the fridge, because I'm craving papaya preserves. Maybe tomorrow.

La Table De Nana said...

J'adore ces paroles!
What beautiful prose to sum up june Donna..
It is the sweetest month.

Cait O'Connor said...

Yes I can't believe how quickly June has flown, I hope the rest of the summer doesn't go by too quickly. My garden has been a pleasure for me in spite of three very destructive hens!

Amanda Summer said...

try as hard as i might, i can't get a neck hold on that old time..

Willow said...

Fabulous quotes Donna ~ they sure speak to me !

jerilanders said...

I accomplished much in the merry month of June, but the heat will be unbearable here in East Tn., very soon. I haven't done any canning in years so I admire you so much for doing it. I never get enough of a vegetable crop to make it worth my time.