"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Friday, September 19, 2014

The Garden Eaters


Just outside the window, two does are searching for acorns. 
They are used to me and bring their babies around too.  I can barely scare them away.  This summer, they have feasted on my tomatoes, apple tree leaves, and happily eaten whatever they wanted in my garden.  The bucks have even figured out that the turkeys have a feed bowl in their pen and devour it before the turkeys can.  They are really getting to be a nuisance.
Unfortunately, hunting season starts soon, then I feel sorry for them.  I don't let anyone hunt on my farm and feed corn to the deer so they hopefully will stay on my acreage, but alas, from all the shooting around us, I know many will not make it.  I have even put up no hunting signs and one in particular, Hunters Will Be Shot.

4 comments:

gésbi said...

They are beautiful but I have friends and family in the US who tell me the same things about their gardens and that they cause serious car accidents. Where are their natural predators when you need them?

La Table De Nana said...

I love these beauties.
I too hear of friends with gardens that are damaged by them..and I have heard also of many accidents..one actually flew by me like a reindeer leaping through air..one day a couple of years ago..came within a breath..I had been hoping and wishing for something and actually took it as a sign..I have no idea why..but just thought..maybe my mom was trying to encourage me:)
Still waiting:)

donna baker said...

Monique, I have personally known 3 people that have had run ins with deer while driving. I see them dead in the ditches too so I know how big of a problem it is.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Donna - I know the deer can be a problem but I don't let anyone hunt them on my property...hope they can lay low and survive - hunting season is so dangerous around my part of the country. Lovely photo.