"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Friday, October 17, 2014

Garden's End


I got this contraption from a Lehman's catalog.  It is a jar top fermentation kit.  If you haven't heard, fermented food is the new/old health craze.  So healthy in fact, it will cure all that ails you.  Probiotics, enzymatic, vitamins and minerals, things that can't be found in pills, will aid your digestive systems.  This used to be done in crocks over a long process, but can be done in a few days with this implement.  All you use is water and Celtic Sea Salt.  


You can be creative with your fruits and vegetables and make pickles, kraut, kimchi, antipastos.  I used the last of my jalapeno peppers for this batch.  After 4 days, I poured out some of the brine and replaced it with cider vinegar. I will store them in the fridge, then probably stuff them with cheese or something for the holidays.  
I also found this new apple cider vinegar that is unfiltered "with the mother" in it.  I'll have to see how it tastes.
Fermentation.  The new/old health food.






10 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How fascinating !
You always manage to amaze me with your posts. Let us know if it will help a dodgy knee :)
Hugs,
~Jo

Amanda Summer said...

Love the fact that stuff our grandmothers probably took for grated is the 'new' health craze.

Btw what does "with the mother" mean on the vinegar bottle?

donna baker said...

I will Jo. Problem is I haven't used it much, but have intentions to do so.

donna baker said...

I don't know what that means Amanda. Maybe someone out there does.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

According to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar

La Table De Nana said...

Unfiltered is the way to go..
I likey that contraption:)
Of course I would...

Kirsten Steen said...

I've been gone too long...but love the new(-ish) header! And what a great idea, this. Can't wait to see what else you do with it. Love pickled jalapenos! Might have to go in search of that thang.

donna baker said...

Thank you sweet Jo for looking up the mother in the vinegar. Seems it's the gunk at the bottom of the bottle in non-pasteurized vinegar and it's harmless. Must be beneficial or they'd strain it out.

donna baker said...

Kirsten, look up Lehman's catalog. It has incredible things in it you can't find in stores. How about a pocket stove. It's fun to look at all the stuff and I have purchased things from them before and can vouch for them. I am a closet prepper, don't tell anyone lest they think I'm crazy. My family thought so until Ebola spread 3 hours from my farm. Just takes a trifecta of disasters or a perfect storm and everyone else but me will be up the creek without a paddle.

Lynne said...

You got that right Donna! Everything old is new again! It's a pity we forgot about this healthy goodness for a while!
Thanks for stopping by to visit! Peanut butter on whole wheat toast will always be my favorite breakfast on a work day!
Have a wonderful weekend!
~Lynne
w/L.