"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Road Not Taken


We own a mountain - at least part of one.  Pine Mountain is beautiful countryside, wooded mostly with oak and pine, and also has a lake at the bottom.  Limestone bluffs are full of fossils from an ocean that covered this land eons ago. Also, many arrowheads and spear points and even a carved stone button from Caddoan Indians that lived here for centuries.  We have two old log cabins, mostly down except for the stone foundations.  We've dug up pottery and flower bulbs from the settlers of long ago. 

I humored my husband and went with him to his "Cabinette" on the mountain this weekend.  He is in preparation for the coming black powder deer hunting season which begins next weekend.  He and his pals all come for a ten day hunt, one of two in the fall.  It is his favorite place in the world.  He would rather go here than go to Paris or Rome.

Me, I avoid it at all costs.  We definitely go down different roads.


Here is what they call the shitter.  It is a nightmarish place with cobwebs, rodent droppings, you can imagine.  And, guess who had to go there?  The toilet seat was full of mosquitos, but I didn't see any rats or snakes.  OMG!


The 'cabinette' is basically a shanty with an old school bus at the end.  That is where the snorers sleep. They have a kitchen and all the modernities of home including satellite tv and internet hookup. It is awful and you couldn't pay me to ever sleep there.

Would you believe these guys are all professionals; doctors, bankers, etc.?



This part of the state is hillbilly country - real Deliverance kind of place. This little gem was on the road a few miles away.  Now you know why I like the city.  I'm not showing the confederate flags, etc.  Though I'll go fishing, or used to, I only go to ride the ATV's around the mountainside.


We stopped by the feed store on the way home.  All the baby fowl are back.  These baby turkeys, my favorite fowl, are sleeping.  We have no more fowl at the farm.


It was 90 degrees this day.  This box (land) turtle has been scanning the patio for caterpillars and such.  He'll go dig a hole and hibernate soon.


And this last little something at the farm, before I head back to the city.  This was the only day that wasn't filled with errands; MRI's, x-rays and a sick cat to the vet.  I'll have to take him back to the city with me to keep an eye on him.  It is very hard going back and forth, my truck filled coming and going.

PS ~ Since Boo, who is white, is going back to my all white city house, I decided to try and give him a bath last night as the outdoor cats like to roll in dust and dirt.  First and last time, with a few puncture wounds to boot.  Ever try and give a cat a bath?

The first picture reminded me of my favorite poem by Robert Frost.  I memorized it many years ago and couldn't remember it verbatim, which was unsettling.  So here it is in toto.  I hope I don't forget it again.

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

Two roads diverged in a wood,
and sorry I could not travel both
and be one traveler, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair, 
and having perhaps the better claim,
because it was grassy and wanted wear;
though as for that the passing there 
had worn them both about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
in leaves no steps had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.


41 comments:

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Men's territory I think Donna .... and they can keep it !! { although, I think that the lake and countryside are beautiful } I'm not overly fussy but I do need a few home comforts !!! They will have great fun though I'm sure.
All I hope is that nothing ' Deliverance-like ' happens when they go on their hunt !!!!! XXXX

donna baker said...

They keep a look out for interlopers. They steal anything that isn't tied down with steel bars etc. Once, a helicopter from the DEA flew over and just knew it was a meth lab. They came to look it over to make sure it wasn't. Also, they have game cameras all over the place.

angryparsnip said...

I am not a camper anymore. I used to backpack the Sierra's, beautiful mountains, I misss them. Then we camped with a tent, when babies came a small pop-up and then an RV. But now I am not able to camp so now it is only places that leave chocolates on the pillows !
I am so envious of you finding treasures on your land. Plus you own a mountain ! WOW ~

cheers, parsnip

A Brit in Tennessee said...

The poem is also one of my favorites.
I've done my share of roughing it, and hope to stay away from here on out :)
Men and there primal instincts, my grandson has just spent the weekend at Land between the Lakes in Kentucky, accomplishing the very same thing with six other men, beating their chests and bringing home the food.......
~Jo

Joanne Noragon said...

Don't laugh. That is an all time favorite poem of mine, too, and your picture is about the finest illustration I've ever seen. But, in my imagination, the road less traveled has always been the left.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Frost is one of my favourite poets too Donna - and this one of my favourites among his poems. The very last time we came to the US the farmer and I searched out his grave in the most beutiful, peaceful country churchyard. It was one of the highlights of the holiday for me.

Deborah Nolan said...

Ah Donna I am an outdoorsy type but give me indoor plumbing and a soft bed always. Sure do understand why you would prefer the nicer amenities😀! Take care. P.S. Have always loved that poem. Hugs!

La Table De Nana said...

My son-in-laws camp w/ his hunting buddies is like that..and far off any beaten path..he LOVES it..
I have always loved that poem too..you are great to have gone w/ him..I love nature..but like my own bed:)I am not a camper at all..

We just came home from a Catscan...
I get you..

RachelD said...

Ahhh, the roads you HAVE taken and shared with us---those are some of the most delightful adventures on the entire internet.

The Huntin' camp---no thanks, not ever again. My participation for many years was to bake three huge cakes and lots of pies and make up the mixin's for cornbread and biscuits dry in bags, and send them off with a hug and a prayer. The scurry and tussle of getting four males off to "rough it" for a week entailed a lot of home comforts smushed into bags and boxes, and as the trucks roared off down the gravel, the preposterone in the air hung there for hours.

It's no sin not to love what the person you love loves. Makes life more interesting, sometimes.

donna baker said...

It is about 30 miles south of the farm. We used to camp too, but like you, I like nicer accommodations. That is the bonus - finding treasures. It is all in a trust for the kids someday. They will sell it the moment we pass as they are not fans of the place like my husband is. He has been going there since he was young.

donna baker said...

I don't eat the deer meat though. It is so purple and gross looking. But, they do at the cabin. My weenies don't even like it. It is a primal thing I guess. Like dogs and wolves.

donna baker said...

Why the left Joanne? Just curious.

donna baker said...

Oh Pat, that is a highlight. I heard him on film reading this poem once. He didn't do it justice, but what a poem.

donna baker said...

Amen, Deb. It is just a treasured poem to so many, it seems.

donna baker said...

I used to Monique. We went to Colorado a couple of times and by the Guadalupe River in Texas. My camping days are over unless it is the biggest RV available so I can have satellite and take my weenies. Yes, and even more doctor visits to come. Trying.

donna baker said...

That is how I feel to Rachel. You have to pack everything but the kitchen sink to go camping and I am not going to ever camp again. That is for the younguns. My husband even has to haul fresh water down there.

elaine said...

I can't understand men and hunting when there is no need - it really goes against the grain for me. But your mountain looks lovely and I love the Frost poem too.

donna baker said...

It has always been big in my husband's family and they do eat it. I wish they'd just take pictures and my husband won't let them shoot young deer, but I'm with you. I used to not kill a fly, but I've become hardened and now kill water moccasins near my house for fear they will get my weenies. They especially love my goldfish pond. I feed all the deer at my farm and they are friendly. I don't allow hunting so they can stay safe here.

Elephant's Child said...

How I love that poem. And the image you illustrated it with. I would be torn which path to take - but think the right is calling loudest today.
That sort of roughing it is not for me. I am soft. I do like a toilet which flushes...

Tom Stephenson said...

Black powder shooting. Fair game. Keep it dry. Happy hunting.

Sandra Cox said...

You own part of a mountain? Wow.

Frances said...

Dear Donna, thank you so much for every picture and word of this post. There was so much that I connected with long ago, and also just this week. I am so glad to have met you through blogging and do hope that some day, somewhere, we might actually sit and talk together.

xo

helen tilston said...

Hello Donna,
You are a good sport to go and spend a weekend with your husband. It is a trifle too rustic for my liking. Thanks for printing the road less travelled.

Helen xx

donna baker said...

Child, it is down and dirty. I just can't stand it there for long, though I did pick up some native pecans while there.

donna baker said...

Oh, I won't be hunting. I don't think it is fair because they sit up in tree stands near where they have corn feeders. I've been there before when they were all there hunting, and the hour I was there, they talked of nothing but deer they had been seeing. Real 'fish stories' or whoppers.

donna baker said...

We bought the land about twenty years ago and does anyone really own land? I like stewards better.

donna baker said...

Me too Frances.

donna baker said...

It was about an hour Helen so not that good of sport. So glad to hear from you as it always is.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Hunting is big here with some people, too. It has never been part of my or my husband's family, however. Our regular deer hunting season starts Nov. 1st and you can see deer stands in the trees, and hear shots in the early morning air. I would avoid the outhouse. You're a brave woman. -Jenn

donna baker said...

Yes, it was only bird hunting when I was growing up, but around here it is huge. When I got up this morning a young buck about 1 1/2 years old was eating acorns outside my bedroom. I know they have to be culled because so many cars hit them, but it is sad too. Nothing scares me except for crazy people, oh, and monster waves and large sharks which I can avoid.

Bea said...

Ah, that's not what I expected re: hunting, but, then again, the only idea I have of hunting is from books & TV. No one is depicted sitting in trees, as far as I have experienced. :)

Funky outhouse, for sure. Ewwww.

donna baker said...

It was even worse than it looks Bea. I told my husband to go up there with some Lysol and clean it up and he just laughed.

Sandra Cox said...

Well said, Donna:)

Sandra Cox said...

We are inching toward the weekend....

ellen abbott said...

I loved going camping and sleeping out under the stars. it's nice to get back to a primitive state now and then. no modern worries.

donna baker said...

Yes, my baby boy (30) and his family are coming. Haven't seen my baby granddaughter, Penny Lane, in 6 weeks. She grows so fast.

donna baker said...

It is really different to sleep outside. Sometimes I wish I had a sleeping porch like in the old times.

Kirsten Steen said...

It's been way too long since I've been here! I love the new header! And the beautiful poem. Our French friends/family are also big on the hunting season. They don't make any travel plans while the season is on. And the men have their own hunting "Lodge" where they sit by a fire and eat the lunches their wives packed for them. (!!) I even heard one story where our friend once complained to his wife about his lunch whereupon she made sure the rest of that week's lunches were so very plain and simple that he never complained again. Hope you are enjoying the new season and have loads of colors gathered around you!

donna baker said...

Thank you Kirsten. Been so long since I heard from you. Glad you keep in touch to let me know what you've been up to. The guys actually cook down there. My husband keeps asking for recipes.

Share my Garden said...

This is one of my favourite poems, learnt by heart at school and recited (with knocking knees) at a festival. I imagined a large American forest but later learnt, to my delight, that Frost wrote the poem in England for, and about, his friend, the poet Edward Thomas who was killed in the First World War soon after it was written.
Have I ever washed a cat? You're making me laugh, Donna. Hope the battle scars are healing.

donna baker said...

I didn't know about the Frost poem. Thank you for this information. It bothers me that I am forgetting more and more things. Boo is still here at the city house and wants outside. I am afraid he'll take off and I'll lose him. Might try to put him in his carrier for a few hours outside so he can get his smells and bearings.