"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Sweet May


Finally, warm spring days.  May sweet May. Much to do in the garden.  I caught this Pennyhopper in the garden.  I told Penny I caught a bug and put it in a jar so it couldn't get away.  I am a magpie and save all sorts of things.  Bug wings, dried bugs, mini spaceman, bones - lots of things.  I've made one of these for all the grandkids.  This Pennyhopper is sitting on a chunk of amethyst, her birthstone.


She's holding dried lavender and has a little parakeet egg is in her basket.  Ladybirds are on the wood around the back.  She was quite enamored.

As I said I love May and so look forward to the flowers and warm weather.  My iris are blooming and the peonies are in bud and about to burst forth. I need to re-pot some citrus and plant many annuals.  I can't wait to see it all.  But, with the sublime comes Mother Nature at her worst.  Tornadoes in Oklahoma are most prolific in May and tomorrow might be a real lulu.  I am almost more afraid of large hail as it just beats the plants down.  I've never personally seen hail larger than a quarter, but have heard of it the size of grapefruit.  Tomorrow will tell.


When the wind blows mightily on the days in question, you know somewhere is going to get it. Hope it's not here.  I'm not going to plant my hydrangea plants until after tomorrow.  Will have my truck in the garage, so it won't be damaged.  Fingers crossed.


22 comments:

angryparsnip said...

Goodness I hope you will have good weather. Tornadoes are very scary plus hail is awful.
I understand bad weather 3 fires in Arizona and one that is near Phoenix not even under control yet. Had a small fire on Mt. Lemmon that is contained, that you can see from my home.
Hope you and your family will be safe.

cheers, parsnip

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Stay safe dear friend, those tornadoes leave nothing to chance.
What a sweet little Pennyhopper, she would be welcome to my garden any time she desires :)
Hugs,
~Jo

donna baker said...

Me too Gayle. We get it all in OK and even sometimes, the remains of gulf hurricanes. Crazy weather. Wildfires are scary too. We have those too.

donna baker said...

She really liked it.

Joanne Noragon said...

Oh, yes! Be safe. I make a little light of tornadoes, but they can't be taken lightly.

angryparsnip said...

You had a huge wildfire north of you. I am happy it wasn't near you.

Elephant's Child said...

What a precious gift.
I have seen huge hail - and its impact. Never a tornado.
Stay safe.

donna baker said...

Oh I will. I never go to a hidey hole, but if I hear a force 5 is coming, I will. They say you will only survive a force 5 below ground. We have a storm shelter at the farm, but not in the city. I guess I'd go to the powder room.

donna baker said...

I've seen baseball size hail on tv and it damages roofs and can break out all the windows in a house from ricocheting. I don't ever want to be in one of those hail storms. The former owners of my city house had to put on a new roof in 2008 from wind and hail.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Those tunnels are terrifying. Stay safe

Tom Stephenson said...

This is one of the creepiest posts I have ever seen. I still like it though.

donna baker said...

I will Suzan.

donna baker said...

Well Tom, okay.

Out on the prairie said...

bad storms here, love your hopper

donna baker said...

Actually, today the wind is still. Not sure what that means. Thank you. Hope she always keeps it.

La Table De Nana said...

Cutest little Pennyhopper..what a wonderful thing..s!!♥
At the moment we are experiencing very high winds/no power..so I can only imagine what a tornado would mean:( Take care..happy your gardens are coming forth..mine are poking:)Take care~

donna baker said...

Thank you Monique. It is terrible when the power goes out. When a tornado is coming, the television always goes out at the worst time. Sirens are the only warning then. I hope she likes it when she gets older. I always give them different names. My son had a feather headress and was coming out of an egg. He was the gooney bird.

Share my Garden said...

I know that I moan a great deal about the weather, but in Blighty it is, at it's worst, mostly only disappointing. The thought of destructive giant hailstones and a tornado is something else entirely. Stay safe, Donna.
The Pennyhopper is intriguing, with a Victorian feel to it. A little disturbing, to catch a fairy in a jar!

Bea said...

The Pennyhopper is such a clever and sweet idea. :)

May the tornado have left you unscathed!

donna baker said...

It did, thank you Bea. The littles all have different jars and they just look so cute in different environments. Some have butterfly wings etc. They love them.

Kirsten Steen said...

That's one of the sweetest things I've seen! (Well not the last one. Scary.) Being laid up, I haven't been able to get out in the yard or plant anything yet and it's driving me crazy. Just drove myself to an appt today, first time in almost 3 weeks. So maybe a short trip to the flower store sometime soon!

donna baker said...

Oh Kirsten. I do hope you get relief soon. Too many deer at the farm too. We were always battling them and they always win!