"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

What's Happening


Summer is happening.  It has been so long since I posted, I thought I better, lest I forget how. The mind, the mind is going.  I water, water and water my plants, weed endlessly and have even canned pickles and peppers from my little raised planters.  I do enjoy my flowers and plants and can already see some spots I will plant some new things this fall and next spring.  When I bought the city house, she already had so much growing, there is barely a square inch to plant anything unless it is tiny or seeds.  This small garden across the patio looks bare.  Some coleus I had planted across it grew so large I couldn't see the flowers in the lower yard and had to take them out.  Next year nothing over a foot tall is going in that bed.  It is cool this morning; perfect and still.




My little gold fish pond has been trying again this summer and I finally got a pump only, and not filtering system.  It has settled down some and I have quite a few goldfish now.  Cross your fingers.


Did I say I've enjoyed myself this summer?  I enjoy sitting on my dock, feeding the waterfowl and fish and turtles.  They wait for me daily.

It has also been trying too.  After months of chemo and radiation at MD Anderson in Houston, my sister had her surgery to remove her leiomyosarcoma in her abdomen.  Nearly two days after, she came down with the first confirmed case of MRSA from an epidural at MDAnderson.  Two days after that she developed meningitis and a week later they had to go in through her back and cut open four vertebra to clean out the spinal column from infection.  Much happened between all of it and I have never seen pain that couldn't be managed with everything they had in their arsenal.  Cut from sternum to pubic area in front and 31 stitches down the back.  To make a long story short, she is finally home and resting.  Getting a little better each day.  She'll get there.  KK is the tough one of the two of us.  Nothing will keep her down, though this was her worst struggle ever.

I'm having surgery next week and usually nothing bothers me, but I am kind of scared now after what all my sister went through.  Can't pick up anything more than ten pounds for weeks and my weenies weigh more than that, so.....

I'm going to start posting recipes from a lady that lived down the road from my farm.  She made this book herself and it is southeastern Oklahoma food.  Don't ask me what that is as it is a combination of southern and many other kinds.  There is an Italian community near my farm.  There is a Czech community across the state and many others that came to America long ago.  Anyway, she was a good cook and I'll post the recipes so you too can have them.  Jeanetta is long gone, but her old recipes live on.





Enjoy and relish these summer days my friends!









29 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Lovely to see you posting.
Love your garden.
I am glad your sister is in recovery mode, and wish you nothing but good vibes for your own surgery.
Growing older is not for sissies is it?

The Weaver of Grass said...

What a pretty garden and I love that little boat for any elves and fairies who might be lurking amongst the plants. Best wishes for your surgery Donna.

ellen abbott said...

holy cow! makes me never want to have to go in the hospital. hope your surgery for whatever goes without a hitch. you garden is gorgeous!

donna baker said...

No Child, it sure isn't and thank you.

donna baker said...

Thank you on all accounts Pat. I'm ready to see how your new garden filled in.

donna baker said...

Thank you Ellen. I have gardened for so long, I don't know what I'd do in summer if not grow things. Even at my age, you still have to drag me kicking and screaming to the doctor. After this is the dermatologist, the dentist and new glasses. I hate going to all of them though they are very nice.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh dear Donna, so lovely to hear from you, but ooh what worrying times you've faced and are facing :(
My thoughts are with both your sister wishing her a successful recovery, and yourself as you undergo your own surgery.
Your sister's nightmare is the second one I have read this week, the other being from my former employer the veterinarian, who is undergoing dialysis and also had MRSA.
On a lighter note, your garden is just lovely, so much color and everything blooming happily.
Time is marching on, before we know it, we'll be putting the Christmas tree up !
Take good care my sweet friend,
Hugs,
Jo

donna baker said...

Thank you my dear Jo, my oldest blogger friend. I didn't mean age. Just there from my first days of blogging.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Hi Donna. I'm so sorry to hear about the awful repercussions of your sister's surgery. The poor woman!! At the same time, I hope yours goes well and you'll be lifting your pets soon enough. It looks like your summer and gardens are going well. Nice to see a post from you! -Jenn

Mary said...

My sincere wishes for a full recovery to good health go to your very brave sis - what awful things have hit her all at once. She will be in my prayers - and of course you too dear Donna as you have your surgery.
Your flowers are spectacular this summer - love the little rowboat in the pond, and can just see your chairs on the dock.
Sending positive thoughts your way that all will be resolved soon and you gals can enjoy some quality time together hopefully.
Hang in there - hugs, Mary

angryparsnip said...

So happy to see your blog pop up.
I have been wondering how your sister was doing, goodness what a mess. I hope she can just rest and get better now.
As for you, I told you no more surgery and here you are again...
Keeping finger crossed for a positive outcome.
The girls should understand no picking up especially with their backs.
I just picked up one of my meds this evening $500. not happy.

Be Well.
cheers, parsnip

Gmail sign up said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
donna baker said...

Thank you Jean. Though I haven't posted, I have been keeping up with all of yours. Happy summer. You can't keep me down long and who in the world knows how much something weighs.

donna baker said...

Aw dear Mary, you are so kind. It has been unimaginable what my sister has gone through. She'll need all the help she can get, but it is good to hear her daily. Better and better. Scared us to death, but all will work out. Thank you.

donna baker said...

It just won't happen, but I'll figure something out. You won't believe this. The pain meds my doctor ordered - well, the pharmacist called and said with the opioid outbreak they are giving me three days less than ordered. Poor pain patients. The government always goes overboard. Those three extra days better not come back to bite me as I am not going to go pay for another appointment to get more pain meds. I probably won't use them, but it is the principle. Guess I could go buy a bottle of booze, but I don't drink. Thank you Gayle.

La Table De Nana said...

Your poor sister..Omgod when things go wrong they go wrong:(Hope every day sees her better.
Sending good thoughts for your operation..
As for me..smitten w/ your gardens..AND that boat:) Where on earth did you find that?
Charm in a pond♥
Take care..all of you.

donna baker said...

Thank you dearest. It was an unbelievable time. She did so well through chemo and radiation, horrible but no complications. Then surgery and one thing after another. She was only supposed to stay in the hospital for a week after surgery, but it all fell apart. She is better each day - today her daughter was fixing her eggs for lunch. She hasn't had an appetite but is making herself eat to get energy. Her son is coming next week from Nashville and she will be so glad to have him there. Thank you for your good wishes, Monique. And, the little boat came from Hobby Lobby. I coated it with silicone so it wouldn't rot.

La Table De Nana said...

She is not the firts to have complications:( So sad..so troubling..no one gets being in those shoes until they are in those shoes:(

Donna.. sidenote..Can I save your boat pic and put on my blog w/ a link here..showing how charming it is?

Sandra Cox said...

Oh, Donna, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sounds ghastly, and that is much too weak a word to describe what she went through.
I trust your surgery goes smoothly though I understand why you'd be concerned.
Your garden is glorious.
Thinking of you.

Ry @ Sotto Il Monte Vineyards said...

Your garden looks beautiful! Best of luck with your surgery. It becomes so much more of a concern as we age and I hope your sister recovers without more pain. How traumatic that must have been. Take care!🦋🦋🦋

donna baker said...

Of course dear. I wasn't too happy with that pic, but didn't feel like taking another one. Isn't that lazy? They have some really cute ones at Hobby Lobby.

donna baker said...

Thank you Sandra. She means the world to me and it was so scary. She was delirious most of the time and luckily has forgotten some time. But, not that killing pain. It's behind her now.

donna baker said...

Oh thank you Ry. I expect to be up and around after a couple of days. KK is taking it well now and better every day. She is always on the move - you could eat off her floors, so this has been hard keeping her down. My gardens are what made me buy this house. it was literally a jewel box.

angryparsnip said...

All kinds of pain med made me sick and gives me headaches so I am not a good candidate for any of them.

La Table De Nana said...

I don't have HL so I am borrowing your cute cute pic:)TY.

Bea said...

You have a lovely garden, Donna. May it have brought you much comfort when complications arose for your sister after the initial surgery. Good to hear she's in fighting shape!

May all go well with your surgery! I'll be thinking good thoughts from Cal.

I look forward to your sharing Jeanetta's recipes. x

donna baker said...

Oh Bea, thank you. I know those first two didn't sound good, but she started her book with appetizers so that's what I'm starting with. If I start skipping around, I'll be posting the same ones over and over!

Share my Garden said...

Dear Donna, I am so pleased that you are blogging again. The photos are beautiful and your garden looks to be a tranquil place to be.
What a frightening experience your sister's health has been. We have also been very concerned as our elder daughter has MRSA and has had quite a battle to get on top of the problem. All the family are home this weekend to celebrate our grandson's first birthday and it is so good to see her able to be up and about again.
I love recipes that are handed down through the generations. Do you have any photos of Jeanetta Green?

Down by the sea said...

Hi Donna, So sorry to hear the trouble your sister has been having and I wish you well with your forthcoming operation. Your garden is looking wonderful. Sarah x