"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Salt Fat Acid Heat



A new show just started on Netflix and I am hooked.  Samin Nosrat is wonderful - a breath of fresh air.  Her enthusiasm and joie d'vivre is contagious.  I had never heard of her, but am now a fan.  I can't wait to watch all the shows.  Sumptuous locales, the people, the cultures and Samin make this show a must. 

I was a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain; no one like him.  I think the same about Samin (Sameen).  So far I've watched her in Italy and Japan.  There is a shopping site on the show website and I am wondering if the Japanese artisanal soy sauce, aged for four years in 150 year old cedar vats is worth the cost.  It shouldn't be used in cooking, but for tasting on rice, sushi etc.  What the heck.  You only live once and I need to taste it.  Supposedly unlike regular soy sauce which is aged for three months and mass produced.  

I think you can watch the episodes on youtube if you don't get Netflix.  So worth your time.


21 comments:

angryparsnip said...

Have not watched the program yet but have wanted to.
As for the Soy Sauce, Son sends me some fabulous Soy in small bottles and I meter it out and like you only use it for my sushi and nigiri or when Daughter makes chirashizushi. I have had it on fruits like peaches and plums. Fabulous !
Must check the site and see if it is like the one I have.
Now you have made me hungry and I want SUSHI !

cheers, parsnip and badger

ellen abbott said...

I don't really watch TV. usually too busy or prefer to read. btw, did you find out about the weed torch?

Anonymous said...

Gayle, I thought of asking you if son had ever tried it. The label is in Japanese so I can't read it, but they have 2 year aged and four year aged. Samin's eye lit up, so I am going for the four year batch. It seems it is a rarity even in Japan to have it handmade. The maker says when he can no longer get the large cedar vats, he'll be out of business. You have to watch it.

Anonymous said...

No. His memory is worse than mine. I bet you can look on Amazon or in a Tractor Supply store.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am not a great TV watcher either. I use Soy Sauce quite a lot because I do a lot of stir fries and rice dishes but have only ever tried the same one. I didn't realise that there were others - like honey I suppose, which I know much more about.

La Table De Nana said...

I just saw someone else mention this show..I hope Netflix Canada has it..going to see:)

La Table De Nana said...

We do:)

Bea said...

Being a bit out of commission, I have watched nothing but Netflix these past few weeks. Samin is an engaging host and a breath of fresh air.

Anonymous said...

It is kind of like balsamic vinegar too, or fine wines Pat. I really didn't know about the different types either.

Anonymous said...

Oh Monique, you are really going to love it.

Anonymous said...

Yes Bea, I had never heard about her so I was glad to find her. I do hope you are better.

Mary said...

She does look fun and interesting - thanks for sharing Donna.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I've made it thru the first two also. I've been telling everyone to watch. I plan to do 3 & 4 this weekend. LOVE HER!

Anonymous said...

Mary, you will enjoy the show as the winter draws in.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will be watching more this weekend Suzan. I think I have watched everything else on Netflix so this is a breath of fresh air.

Out on the prairie said...

the soy sounds different, I would like to try it. I keep saying I should get netflix, there are a few shows I would like on top of the movies

Anonymous said...

I am so hooked. I had it for years before I started watching it. No commercials and such good shows. I haven't been able to comment on your blog, but I am there nonetheless. I am ordering the soy sauce this weekend. I'll let you know.

Curtains in My Tree said...

Well I haven't seen or heard of this Sameen girl show. My cable is very basic
I liked Anthony and watched his show Until be bad Mouthed Paul Deen about her cooking
Us fat girls had to stick together, now she is slimmed way down, I'm still a heavy gal LOL

Anonymous said...

I remember that. I think you can see it on Youtube if you don't have netflix. Sameen is a sweetheart.

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

I love a cookery programme but haven't seen this one Donna..... you should definitely buy the Soy Sauce. I'm sure it will be like aged Balsamic vinegar ... in a different league. XXXX

Anonymous said...

That's what I think Jackie. Once in lifetime. It is as much a travel/geographic show as a cooking show.