"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Some of my friends

























Thought I'd share some of the deer and other animals on our Peaceable Hill Farm this year. Currently, I'm feeding whole corn to about 27 deer as there aren't many acorns this year. I think a late hard freeze this spring hurt the oaks. The doe standing on her hind legs is snap kicking or boxing the others to get them to go away from the corn. They do this a lot; must be some kind of hierarchy. The kitty is one of our barn cats that followed me from the barn to the pond where I was taking pics of the deer. He is so sweet. More about the barn cats later. The geese at the pond just wanted bread. They ran honking and hissing after the deer and the cat shortly after the photo.





4 comments:

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh my goodness I love the cat. Looks so fluffy and soft.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

The deer are in the rutting (sp) season right now. On any given morning, I look out into the back of the property and there they are, just like that, rearing up in the air, and either fighting or (well you know ;)
Your so lucky to have lots of acreage where the animals can come and go, giving you a little look into their world, and living amidst them.
How many barn cats do you have ?
The kitty looks so friendly, waiting for a tummy rub !

Donnetta said...

Hi, Donna: I am another Okie. I am NOT a cook, but some of your recipes look like even I might be able to do them! I'm going to make the peanut butter balls for my son! Nice to meet you. Donnetta

Leedra said...

I came to you via A Brit in Tennessee. I noticed your comment about animals eating your bulbs. Supposedly the daffodil is the only bulb the animals don't eat. The moles will eat all the others from underneath and you don't even know they got them.

I also have old daffodils (about 1200) transplanted several times over the years. They orginally were my Granny's in Georgia, and have multipled over the years that I have moved them around. If Granny were alive she would be 109 on the 13th, who knows how many generations before her had them. They are now planted in a foot wide row, 140 ft long.