"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chevre


When you have a greenhouse full of lemons (nearly 175lbs. of the golden gems), what do you do?  Make everything lemony you can think of.  This year, I will be freezing most of the juice, but I am trying something new - goat cheese, or as they say in France, chevre.  It is easy to make and delicious I might add.  I used Meyer lemons in this recipe and zest shavings.  It doesn't have quite the bite or tang that some chevre has.  Though I tried it atop crackers with a savory pepper jelly, I think it would also be good on toast points with a delicious sweet jam or marmalade and of course atop salads.  I believe in France, they eat it for the dessert course.  There are so many recipes on the web to choose from, and many call for rennet (you can purchase at Whole Foods) or Junket which can be purchased at most grocery stores near the pudding section.  These are what give the cheese more tang and help it set up.  I used buttermilk since I had neither of the aforementioned.  I'll be trying feta next.

CHEVRE

1 quart goat milk (I used the pasteurized since I don't have a goat)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs. buttermilk

In a large non-reactive pot (stainless), slowly warm the goat milk to 180 degrees.  Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.  Let the milk cool for 20 minutes, then add lemon juice and buttermilk.  Stir, then let the milk sit for 2 hours. 

Line a colander with several layers of cheese cloth.  Place the colander over a large bowl and pour the milk into cloth.  Let it sit for 2 hours (I actually let mine drain for 6 hours) or until the liquid whey has drained leaving the curds.  Now is the time to season with a small amount of sea salt (approx. 1/8 to 1/4 tsp).  The curds will then be placed in a mold or tin and covered with plastic wrap.  Keep chevre in refrigerator for several days, if it lasts that long.

2 comments:

Dixie said...

Never heard of it (I lead a sheltered life down here in S. TX), but it sound delicious!

mermaid gallery said...

How thrilling to have so many lemons!....how about limes? ( my favorite!)I have never made cheese but you make it sound so easy. My friend wanted to start a cheese biz but had trouble finding the goat milk.....but i will search for it......thanks!