"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Crab Apple Juice


What do you do when you've got gallons of crab apples and can't bear to let them go to waste?  If you remember, I have made liqueurs with them and jelly.  This time I decided to gather them and make crab apple juice.  It turned out good.  I froze the juice for later use.  I could have put more sugar in it, but it is sweet enough as it is. If truth be known, I don't think I added the sugar as it was just right, but the recipe did call for it. 

CRAB APPLE JUICE

8 quarts crab apples
10 quarts water
4 cups sugar
4 tsp. cream of tartar

Wash crab apples and cut into quarters or chop up.  Bring water to a boil then add cream of tartar.  Pour over crab apples.  Let sit over night.  Next day, drain liquid through cheesecloth.  Add sugar.  Water bath, can or freeze juice.  This made a lot of juice.  Oh, and the cute kitty and birds glass came from Anthropologie.

4 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

It looks so refreshing and colorful !
Love the glass, I hope kitty is playing with the bird :)
~Jo

A Wild Thing said...

Yummy...I lost my only apple tree this winter cause I forgot to wrap the trunk, bunnies totally chew off the bark...and it was doing so well! I'm totally with ya on the human versus animal thing. I have a lil' squirrel that follows me around begging for food, pecans and sweet corn are her faves. Her ears are infested with ticks, I want to help her so bad...but it is what it is, leave Nature to do her thing!

It's Just Dottie said...

I am not sure what a crab apple is !!!! I made your peach ice cream. It was so very good and easy!
Smiles,Dottie

donna baker said...

Some crabapple trees are purely ornamental, while others are edible and come in many sizes and colors. They are generally very tart, but mine were almost sweet as an apple. The trees are beautiful in the spring with all the flowers and while my edible tree hasn't grown so big, my ornamental one sends suckers all over the place. My husband keeps threatening to cut it down.