"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Strawberry Lemon Marmalade


What to do with all my citrus.  Besides juicing it, I made strawberry lemon marmalade.


Here is a small corner of my greenhouse.  Someone please stop  me.


This is about 1/4 of all my citrus.  I'm afraid I am going to burn out my electric juicer.


Blood oranges, Meyer, Etrog, Ponderosa lemons, and tangerines too.



Finally.  Need to get some English muffins as I think they would be perfect for the marmalade.


Strawberry Lemon Marmalade

1 cup thinly sliced lemon peel
2 cups lemon pulp, chopped
4 cups crushed strawberries
1 (1 1/2 oz.) powdered pectin
1 tb. lemon juice
6 cups sugar

1. Place lemon peel and pulp in a pot with just enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 12 - 18 hours. Drain water.
3. Combine peel and pulp, strawberries, pectin and juice in a large pot.  Bring to a boil. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.
4. Bring to a roiling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat.  Skim foam if necessary.
6. Ladle hot marmalade into jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.
7. Makes 9 half pints.

I also made a blood orange, lemon and raspberry marmalade.  I didn't boil the pulp with the peels this time and I think it made the marmalade a tad too acidic.  It's good now though.

2 comments:

prince snow farm said...

I am jealous of this productiveness in the midst of winter. It has been single digits here all week. I cannot wait to have my hands back in the dirt!

Jill of All Trades said...

That looks SOOOO yummy!