"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Monday, April 21, 2014

Tattoo You


"The times they are a changin'".  Think that was from Bob Dylan, but can't remember.  Hmm, wonder why... Anyway, this is one of my middle daughters' back tatts.  One.  
When I was growing up, tattoos were bad - only worn by soldiers returning from war; usually of naked women, and also by thugs (my kids say, "what's a thug").  
In my day, no one would have even considered a tattoo nor bankruptcy and I only knew of two friends whose parents got divorced.  If a girl got pregnant, she was spirited away to a home for unwed mothers. 
My dad wouldn't speak to me after I got my ears pierced so I can't imagine if I'd have pierced an eyebrow, nose, nipple or tongue.  I draw the line at piercings, so kids you better hide them well or run.  I might just have to yank it off if I see one.  
It is amazing how much things have changed.  Our culture seemed so much more civilized back then. Maybe it was just naivete or innocence.  No one would dream of talking back to a teacher, nor be disrespectful to their elders. We wore hats and gloves to church!  Some things better left in the past.
Societal mores aside, all three of my children have tattoos.  They won't listen when I tell them they'll get Hep C or HIV.  I tell them, no more tatts, but they continue.  I think it must be addictive as I see no end in sight. Oh well.  At least they are good kids, never been arrested, college educated and have good jobs.  I'd like to find someone to paint faux tatts all over me to give them a real shock.  Maybe even a teardrop by my eye.  I'll show them thug.

12 comments:

Cindy said...

The Husband and I want to invent tattoo ink that fades after 6 months. We would make a fortune! By the way, I love your new Flower Shop blog header.

Blue said...

I remember my grandfather's faded pre-Great War tattoos and I disliked the way they looked on old skin. Not very flattering thought, I know, but I often wonder at the utter turn-around there's been about tattoos. At one time and for whole generation or even two they were completely naf and now ....

RachelD said...

"I'll Show Them Thug!" could be the rallying cry of parents the world over, in reference to tats, dress, hair, friends, music or dance. And I must say it's quite the most profoundly entertaining, well thought-out, fun and understanding sentence I've read on a blog in quite some time.

Still Who Hug Them.

rachel

donna baker said...

Cindy, better start experimenting and thank you. My window box is too shaded even for shade flowers so I have bird houses on both of them. Mr. Blue, I've tried the wrinkled threat, but they aren't concerned. Rachel, we think alike. Still Who Hug Them? Is that an anagram. I'm pretty dense sometime - have to draw me a picture.

donna baker said...

Rachel, read comment below first. I love that you were entertained. And, I figured out it was an anagram. Pretty good girl.

RachelD said...

Yes---about a three-second one. It's a failing of mine, in that I can skitter off into a whole other place in a flash, with the letters sorta floating in the air like one of those police white-boards. I've always done it, and people's names are always fair game, though I don't share the impudent or disparaging ones. I seem to remember doing that even before I could write.

And if you like anagrams---do try Aeronaut's Cryptic Crosswords. They have EVERYTHING---hidden words, backwards, puns, anagrams---and the Brit spellings only add to the confusion and fun.


r
r

donna baker said...

Rachel you are kidding me. I can't even do Soduko. Tell me this - I had a dream one night and a young woman turned to me and said, " follow the crystal line" (it might have been crystalline) and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I looked up anagrams and it said there were 200,001 for it.

Ruth Andre said...

Donna, Have you tried Henna Tatts? They look like the real thing but wear off in time. If you really want to surprise your kids the Henna would work. Your blog is full and fun!

donna baker said...

Ruth, thank you so very much.

La Table De Nana said...

love your birdhouses Donna..

Oh i agree my mom would have flipped at a tattoo..
Both my girls have one each..my soon to be 40 yr old..had a small fairy..like 1 inch done on her back in college.
When I spied it through a white blouse one day..and it's small ..you know mothers eagle eyes..
I was surprised.. and actually felt bad she had marked her skin.I think I flipped my lid.
Our other daughter..at 37 just got one..on her wrist.. Family...small..
And I like it..
Like you.. great kids..parents..university degrees..:)
You and I should try a little temp tat this summer..since i don't wear shorts it'll have to be on an ankle or below capri:)
let's face it nothing looks fantastic on old skin except our history..
And I do prefer that to looking like a caricature after plastic surgery.
C'est la vie..times will always change..
My girls make me laugh out loud..and in my next life instead of being a goodie one shoe..I think I would like to not have shoes.

donna baker said...

Monique, you are hysterical which I don't see in your blog. I see everything else but that. You are one of a kind and a very smart and talented dear.

La Table De Nana said...

:-)