"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Field Of Gold



I love Sting's version of this song, but Ms. Cassidy does a good rendition.  



I love the fields around the farm in winter.  The switchgrass is a stunning coppery orange/gold waving in the wind.  This view is looking westward, but to the east, the purple hills as a backdrop makes a gorgeous scene.  The newly edited photos shown here are courtesy of the photographic genius, Monique Campeau. Thanks Monique.  You can see more of her beautiful photos by clicking on her blog, La Table De Nana, on the right side of my blog.



But, oh no.  With a strong west wind and high risk of fire danger, a rancher has decided to burn his fields anyway.  Wildfires are an everyday occurrence this time of year and cover miles in no time flat. It is terrible for the wildlife such as lizards and turtles and all the burrowing and nesting animals.  Makes me mad.  And, it does burn down structures and homes, not to mention trees.  It has happened on land we own. 
Nobody gets sued nor held accountable for their "accidentally got out of hand" fires, at least not that I've heard of.  I have heard of a fine levied during a red flag fire warning.  Is it such in other countries?  Are people able to burn off acreages at leisure? I can't understand how the rancher's livelihood is more important than the lives of the flora and fauna.

19 comments:

RachelD said...

Simply wonderful photos and music. I will always think of that magical moment when Michelle skated for the GOLD to this ethereally lovely song.

donna baker said...

I didn't know that Rachel. It must have been moving.

La Table De Nana said...

I hate FIRES..not sure what the laws for farms are here...

but I do know it woud freak me out..too much devastation can happen~


I love Eva:)

Check your emails..

Love the golds here..and that tree in the distance w/ it's lacy branches..

Elephant's Child said...

Glorious scenes. Love that colour.
We get fires too. Every year. Lives (human and otherwise) lost. Homes ditto.
And they are often deliberately lit.
Hiss and spit.

donna baker said...

I will Monique. It does cause so much devastation and death for animals. Even the trees that survive get those large holes in the base which eventually cause them to fall in a storm. The flames in this field can reach thirty feet high. Terrible land management. The laws are becoming stricter for wetlands by the federal government, but no one around here knows that, or cares.

donna baker said...

Doesn't it boggle the mind Child? Quail, ground dwellers, used to be plentiful around here and now are a rarity. They wonder why. The ranchers burn the land off late winter then make hay and destroy the nests in late spring and summer.

Joanne Noragon said...

You can only hope for enforcement to catch up in your lifetime. The wild, wild west mind set of the business owners in our business corridor is almost curtailed, but it has taken the better part of the thirty years I've lived here, and the loss by drowning of my apple orchard. As I later said to the business owner who did not install drainage control while he clear cut for an expansion, perhaps they only were crab apples, but they were my crab apples and they feed the deer all winter.

ellen abbott said...

We have burn bans here. But no one burns fields, only brush piles. Even so, depending on how long it's sat there, there will be things that took up residence. Little life . I always hope things have time to flee when we burn ours. One thing the fire doesn't disturb at all though...fire ants.

donna baker said...

I make sure the piles are burned before spring nesting begins. But, always make sure and burn pile from one side to spread to the other so, like you, hopefully the little creatures can escape. Have seen a turtle do so.

donna baker said...

It has been a thorn in my side for more than thirty years - the burning, and also the haymaking that destroys nests from ground nesters and baby deer etc.

The Weaver of Grass said...

That fire risk sounds dreadful and so irresponsible Donna.

donna baker said...

I agree Pat. All over the state they burn. Some begin with a tossed cigarette, but most are from the ranchers. The first service light some of them, but are prepared with back burns etc. Still the same result for the animals.

elaine said...

Farmers round here aren't allowed to burn the stubble any more - at one time it used to be a regular sight, but now they plough it all in.

donna baker said...

Were that it stubble Elaine. The weeds and grasses are 3-4 feet tall. I only wish that would happen where I live. It is crazy.

donna baker said...

:)

jerilanders said...

Donna, A few of the farmers around here burn their fields, but what really kills me is my neighbor that burns his TRASH on the perimeters of the woods..I swear he will burn us all down one day. The laws out here are so lax and even complaints to the authorities do no good. As for your apple post, I love the new apples, but they are only good in the fall. Other than that, good old Granny Smith is my fave.

donna baker said...

Isn't it unbelievable Jeri, that they are able to burn whenever and wherever they want. I take that back. If it were on federal land, I bet they'd get in big trouble.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Donna - such lovely music as well as pics. It is sad to think about the danger that comes with fire to not just wildlife but people as well. Take care and have a great day. Hugs!

donna baker said...

It is Debbie. Just breaks my heart and is a pet peeve of mine. If they'd just wait for the animals to come out of hibernation and wait to make hay till the baby birds and animals are big enough to run out of the way.