"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Woke


Just in case you were wondering, or even had a fleeting cursory think about what I've been up to, well, I've been working on my magnum opus.


Just kidding.  I haven't had much to say.  I believe I have become a slug or one of the single-celled amoebas or some such thing.  Can't really even think of any accomplishments of late; just moving through the days in a daze.  Not that bad, but pretty bad.  


Okay, with the handful of brain cells I have left, I have been reading.  Most I can't finish, but I did immensely enjoy Al Franken's latest.  He is so funny and though I thought I knew all about American politics, I do not.  Imagine Mitch McConnell lunching with Al and laughing so hard milk shoots out of his nose.  Or Harry Reid with his head thrown back; his guffaws heard down the halls of congress.

I just started Sally Quinn's autobiography last night and can tell I am going to love it.

So, I am so 'woke'.  Woke you ask?  Yes, I've heard it used and wanted to ask what that meant, but thought better of it.  It is a new term (probably old) being used on social media.  It is an American vernacular word, or slang for being aware, as in socially aware.  Cool, groovy, awesome, whatever.




20 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Love the Al Franken, a good read.A friend says he is on the outskirts of the world around him, being a pastor of a large church.

Bea said...

Those two books sound like they would be extremely good reads. Also, the book by Katy Tur (the journalist Trump seems so fond of mentioning by name) would be good as well.

Elephant's Child said...

Reading is such a gift.
Woke is not a phrase I have come across in that context - but then social media is pretty much a mystery to me.

angryparsnip said...

This has been a bad summer for many. I feel very slug like.

I was ok with Al Franken till he said after Bernie Sanders won his state by 22% over Hillary, that his vote was more important than the constituents, who overwhelmingly voted for Sanders. They may have voted Franken in as Senator but his judgement as a superdelegate does not throw out the the wishes/votes of the constituents. It is kind of political double speak that makes me so mad. He was voting for Hillary no matter what. Plus what the hell are superdelegates votes even before the voting takes place. aurrrrg !

Every time Winston runs through the sprinklers I think of your gud dugs !

cheers, parsnip

Joanne Noragon said...

Woke has not entered my consciousness yet, fortunately. I think I will get Al Franken. He is a force.

donna baker said...

Gayle, it was refreshing to know that they do get along but on television, they don't. Except for Cruz and everybody hates him. Water and my weenies don't mix. Worst thing I could do to my girls.

donna baker said...

I've always loved him and now, even more. Yes, I'm not on any other social media, so I thought it was probably passé. It just sounds funny, but when I looked at the guy I heard using it, I thought, better keep my mouth shut.

donna baker said...

Me too Child. It just sounds funny when used like it is.

donna baker said...

Very good for me. I am trying not to buy books anymore since I'm batting about 90% I can't finish.

donna baker said...

Glad I bought that one. Now, I want to read his other ones.

Michelle said...

I need to read the Al Franken book. I have always appreciated his humor. I have been blogging lately, but not commenting so much. Sometimes I just don't have much to say....so I commune with a book.

donna baker said...

I learned a lot about him and politics too. He's a breath of fresh air. I've been reading blogs, just not blogging much.

ellen abbott said...

I have been woke since forever. I just wish the rest of the world would catch up before it's too late.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I use my library requesting 20 or more at a pop. Works to clear out my sludge. :D

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Off topic, I have a hinged box like the one beside your lamp in the picture! Until I saw your picture, I had totally forgotten about that little box. I think it has old negatives (remember the strips of negatives you would get when you had your picture developed?) in it. Well, there you go. -Jenn

RachelD said...

Good Morning way over there! It's good to see you back, and hope your Summer's been lovely. We're seeing some leaf-drift, and our big old THE TREE out back is covering the patio with a carpet of drab yellows and browns, but the GOOD STUFF is yet to come.

We're finally having some AUGUST weather, and expect up to 90 today, even though the hostas are beginning to languish after the unseasonable cool of the past couple of weeks. They're limpening into great golden piles in the beds, despite all the bees still visiting their blooms.

Stay COOL, faraway friend!

r

Moire anon of my BIRTHDAY PRESENT!!

donna baker said...

Hope you are faring well friend. I certainly couldn't deal with what you are dealing with. I certainly am getting an insider look at Washington with these two books. Who knew?

donna baker said...

Oh lordy, twenty at a time. My fines would be astronomical as I only read in bed at night.

donna baker said...

I have a little wall shelf that goes with it. Makes me wonder where it is now.

donna baker said...

Same weather and garden here too. I think we must be at the same parallel. Acorns were all over the porch at the farm this week and leaves all over the lawn. I'll have to clean out the leaves and stems over the winter. I did buy some fall bulbs the other day.