"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mmmmm Snails

Just pretend there is a snail pie in there somewhere. In jolly old England, the hodmandod was a shell snail: I guess as opposed to a slug. Popular with aristocrats and paupers alike, the snail in a shell was a popular foodstuff. In Cornwall, there was a popular dance called the Snail's Creep and Cornish miners considered snails lucky - wished upon them. Recipes included "ragout of fatted snail" and I guess it tastes like chicken since one was called "chickens not two hours from the shell." Here is one recipe from the 1600's:

With our sharp weapons we shal thee fray
And take the castill that thou liest in;
And in a dish, with onyons and peper,
We shall thee dresse with strong vynegars.

P S ~ I'm sure I would love them if I had eaten them growing up. I do love seafood even though reared a landlubber, but I won't be eating any sea urchin eggs, or whale or dolphin, or swordfish, nor sharkfin soup.....Just don't want to insult any of my dear tens of followers. The part I love the best is the olde recipe which actually sounds like a snail salad. Crrrunch!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, Id's rather have a custard tart, snails are rather slimey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table of pies looks so good but,me thinks I shall pass on the snail pie...smile...have a blessed week....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog...we seem to have some very things in common- the pictures of canned food on your sidebar made me smile...I love canning and the satisfaction of seeing those jars all lined up. As for my sheets- yep, they were pretty much dry...I have them hung out again today as it has been a taxing day already and I'll need the good sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sippin' a bit o the wine again...it would take me jugs of it to eat a snail...GROSSSSS...now rooster testicles, that's a different story...OK...so winter has been a little long and I been in the cabin wayyyyy toooooo long!!!

    Love the rooster...I miss them so much and the fresh eggs...will you adopt me...I'll be there in time for lunch!

    sharon

    ReplyDelete

Someone said comments are the heartbeat of blogs. I love to read your comments and learn so much from every one of you. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me.