"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Monday, June 8, 2009

POISON IVY

If you see this out in the woods or around trees in shady places, carry it home and transplant to your garden. Just kidding! I took this pic for my fellow bloggers who have allergic reactions to poison ivy. Where I live, it grows like kudzu. It took me a couple of years to finally identify it. But, besides growing on the ground, it also vines up in the trees. And don't think rubbing up against it is the only way to suffer it. You can get the oil off of your dogs or cats, shoes, clothes, the leafless stems in winter, the smoke when it is burning, and if you mow over it with a lawn mower, it floats in the air for a while. I have gotten it all of these ways at one time or another. I have had it everywhere imaginable and it is a pain. It can also leave scars if you get enough on you.
Just remember leaves of three.

6 comments:

trash talk said...

LET IT BE!!!!!
My son is highly allergic so I am constantly fighting to keep it out of the yard. Got any tricks for eradicating it?
Debbie

Joanne said...

Oh the dreaded three shiny leaves. That's how we were taught to identify it. I've heard that a vinegar/water mixture sprayed on the plant will kill it. Don't know if it's true, but maybe worth trying?

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Well since hubby has been down in the woods for the past six months or so, cleaning out the undergrowth we have become all too familar with this little gem.
Also poison oak.
A good picture of it donna....a lot of times the websites show poor pictures that are confusing to identify.
Stay clear !

anythinggoeshere said...

Yikes. I had a horrible case of poison ivy on my 16th birthday from a hayride. You can just imagine the places I had poison ivy. Beware. xo Joan

donna baker said...

I will ask someone who uses goats to keep their pond clear if they will clear it off. It would grow back though so you'd have to keep grazing the goats. There is a poison/herbicide for poison ivy. I think RoundUp makes it. I need to see who makes it first. I boycott Monsanto products (you'd have to read article in Vanity Fair) and don't like Bayer products. They have linked them to the worldwide bee colony collapse for not disclosing products' ingredients. My husband can roll in it with nary a blemish, so I guess the best thing would be to get someone who isn't allergic to keep clearing it out. Just don't let it get to the fruiting stage when it makes berries.

Unknown said...

Hahahaha! Unless you want your plants to do some anti-pest control by planting it in pots and placing it all over your porch...

Hmm, that's a good idea!