"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

APPLE PIE

Lo and behold, it's that time of year again. Apple pickin' time is nigh. In all the grocery stores, apples of all kinds spill out of the produce bins into our baskets. This year, my twenty year old Golden Delicious apple tree is just about kaput. It has been blown over by strong storm winds then stood back up and braced. Two major ice storms have laid it down again and again only this year, half of it died. I didn't have the heart to cut it down, but I did plant three new apple trees this fall. Truth be known, I rarely ever got to eat the apples as the squirrels and deer usually got most of them. Nevertheless, this post is about apple pie - and you have to use Granny Smith apples for the best apple pie. I have tried many other kinds, including different varieties together, but always go back to Granny's. I have run this recipe previously, so type it in the upper left hand corner for the recipe. I'd also like to give a shout out to Stark Brother's Nursery. I have purchased fruit trees and berry plants from them and their quality of plants are very good.










6 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

((((slobber))))

trash talk said...

Apple anything is always my fave! Love the cute heart cutout on top.
Debbie

Blue Muse said...

Oh my gosh all this food - I think I just gained 10 lbs! I'm coming to your house!!! Dumplings? Apple Pie? I'm with Willow --- (SLOBBER!)
xo Isa

Mary-Laure said...

I have been craving pie for a few weeks and I must say yours looks just perfect! Save a slice for me...

Ry @ Sotto Il Monte Vineyards said...

That pie just looks too good! I don't have an apple tree myself - but there is an orchard just down the road. May have to take a spin over there and pick up a few.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my absolute favorite. Thank you again for making me the dumplings, mama. I love them so much and I love you! xoxo Cady