"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

HAIKU CHICKEN

The small gray rooster
Claims the red hen for himself
Cluck, clucking, clucked.


This guy's a whopper - at least 2' tall, a long and lean Araucana. This is the breed that lays colored eggs.

Big, fat Barred Rock boy. He'll be runnin' the show before long.


The first time out of the pen. The little gray rooster is hardly bigger than a robin. I think he's my favorite. I dare not name him or the coyotes or barn cats will eat him.



And all from these teeny chicks I bought last fall. Got my first eggs this week. Oh no! Means I have to clean out the chicken house (the worst job in my world).




6 comments:

Xi said...

Do you have a chicken araucana?
It´s from my country :D

Greetings from Chile.

Dixie said...

Cleaning out the hen house... my least favorite job... however... we have no chickens... I have a choice... Coyotes or chickens... one had to win out... and it wasn't the chickens... I just can't bring myself to kill the coyotes... not in my world..

Tess Kincaid said...

This is giving me some serious chicken envy.

donna baker said...

Yes, Maria. I've had many - we wanted their colored eggs. Then we found out what wonderful personalities they have. Much like pets. Dixie, I don't kill anything;it's even hard eating their eggs. Willow, I just read a blog that had a 15 year old pet rooster. They really are like pets; each one has a different personality.

Xi said...

My father have many too.

Their eggs are very beatiful. We call eggs blues.

Gretings from Chile

Yesterday we have 96.8º Farenheit.

Jill of All Trades said...

I so love chickens.