"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Thursday, January 28, 2010

PASSING


I just recently learned of the passing of a beloved artist and writer. Stephen Huneck died on January 7th of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had been depressed and despondent; he feared he might lose his mountaintop farm home and studios, dubbed Dog Mountain, over the recent economic downturn. The Dog Chapel, which has been featured in many publications, was built to honor his own Sally, a Labrador. Inside the chapel, visitors have left notes and pictures of their own beloved pets.
I guess I am surprised by his passing and sad. One would think that by 60 years of age, you'd finally have it down enough that you wouldn't resort to killing yourself over life's disappointments. I guess not. The reality is, depression is lethal sometimes. Stephen's art and contributions will be missed.

6 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How very sad.
We have experienced this tragedy first hand within our own family, so devasting to deal with it always leaves one wishing they could have done more to help.
My prayers will be with his loved one's and friends.
Hugs,
Jo

trash talk said...

If only he had reached out for help instead of a gun.
Debbie

Tess Kincaid said...

Sad news, indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones.

Country French Antiques said...

Sad indeed
Merci for stopping by my blog. Cady is actually my granddaughter.
I like your blog. I'm toying with the idea of attempting a perma garden this year. I have a small area, only grown tomatoes before, that I need to put to use. I'd love to have a few chicks too.
I think it would be very satisfying to be somewhat self-sufficient.
Your blog seems like a good place for a city girl to learn a few things.
Thanks for sharing.

Simply Shelley said...

Very sad story...I suffer with depression myself....God is my refuge...I pray for his loved ones...my FIL did this same thing many years ago....blessings to you...I am enjoying my visits here....

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

So tragic...so sad. What beauty he left behind.

Can I tell you, I love coming here...the gather sign above has such a quiet peace about it...as does your whole blog.

Thank you for that.