"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Container Gardening


It happens to the best of us.  When we can no longer squat and bend over to toil in our gardens and refuse to crawl or scoot around on our behinds, we think of other ways to garden.  This summer, I have decided to try some crops in containers; old containers I have piled up around the farm. I don't even remember where they came from. Recycle? Reuse?  Repurpose? All good. 


Used this old enamel cook pot for carrots, and yes, I over-planted as I have done for thirty years (I told you I never learn).



Since I seem to have problems with slugs, grasshoppers and birds, my strawberries have done well in this old enamel wash pan.  This is a french variety of fraise des bois, a wild variety that though small, are perfumed and strongly flavored.


More strawberries in an old graniteware cook pot (at least, I hope that is what it is).


Another enamel washpan with dandelion greens.  They have thrived.  Lastly, I dare not show you where my pumpkins are growing this year.  I planted them in an small plastic swimming pool used for goslings and cracked with weather and age.  Though somewhat unsightly, it is around the side of the house and not visible from the drive.  I have learned that planting plants so huge and with large root systems isn't the best for this little pool container, as I have to water it daily since the roots take up so much water and it is hotter than hell here. I will be trying some fall plantings in containers soon.  It will take me a while to figure out the differences in planting ground versus containers.  My lasagna garden did better than any garden I've tried, though I learned it also has to be watered frequently since it is raised above ground level.

3 comments:

jerilanders said...

Love your gardens in pots, and I am quite familiar with scooting along on my bottom to garden. I tried some herb gardens this year in old metal pails and wheelbarrows, it worked well. Next year i plan to garden in big hypertufa troughs , they seem easy to make.

donna baker said...

Jeri, I'd love your recipe for the troughs. I have one somewhere, but I can't find it.

Kirsten Steen said...

Wow, what a great idea! And now I can't wait to see photos of the wonderful dishes that come out of your container garden contents!