"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Remember Me


Down a nearby country road is an old cemetery; once overgrown and nearly forgotten, it is now kept up.  Supposedly, it is an old Indian burial ground.  Many of the graves there are unmarked or have no engraved headstones.   I also noticed quite a few spots where children rest. A stone marks this child's passing. Snoopy and Woodstock watch over the little one.


Postscript ~ Next to this little grave was a tiny bulb lying on top of the ground and I put it in my pocket.  When I got home, I poked a hole in my flower bed and planted it.  Turns out, it was a wild jonquil that grows around here and is the first thing to come up in the spring. My flower bed is now full of them.

10 comments:

It's Just Dottie said...

Oh!!!!!
Smiles, Dottie

Balisha said...

So sad but sweet at the same time.
Balisha

Kirsten Steen said...

Love the Snoopy...but not why it's there!

Debbie Nolan said...

Very touching Donna - so many stories waiting to be heard in heaven and no more tears too. Take care and have a wonderful day.

Dixie said...

This post makes me wish blogger had a smile button.... Hugs. Dixie

La Table De Nana said...

Oh Donna..what a tender post.
I had a sister I never knew..she died she she was five..she would be in her late sixties ..a little faded..aged..stone lamb marks her little spot.
Saddest thing I ever saw in Venice Italy..a funeral procession on the water with a small intricately beautiful white coffin.That same day..a web friend lost a beloved grandchild.
I love that you planted the bulb.

jerilanders said...

I love old cemeteries, although it is often sad to see the number of youngsters buried in them. There is an old country cemetery, just steps from our place. Some of the dates are early 1800's. The man who built our house in the late 1890's is buried there as well, so I feel a connection. I am glad you planted the jonquil bulb, it will be fruitful and multiply, no doubt!
PS, yes, I do write the books as well, I now have 3.

ruma said...


Hello, donna baker.

 Expression of great moment.
 Fascinating photographing.

Have a good weekend. From Japan, ruma ❃

Willow said...

Well this post really had me wondering about the little person buried there and their family. That Snoopy looks like he has been keeping that grave company for quite a while. Fascinating , yet sad too.

donna baker said...

I believe Snoopy is from the 60's, so its been there for forty to fifty years.