"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Fossils


This is the worst job I have to do every spring - dread cleaning out the goldfish pond.  While still too cold to climb into the foulest, stinkiest water you've ever seen, I am trying to clean it out with a swimming pool net and pole.  I will have to get in soon though, before the snakes come out of hibernation. Be that as it may, it doesn't take long before my mind begins to wander to the fossils I have placed around the pond. 


Oklahoma used to be covered by an ocean, which mildly disturbs me, but because of said ocean, I find many fossils in limestone around here.  I've said give me a fossil over diamonds and watches, jewelry that I do not wear (though I do love a Van Cleef and Arpels Alhambra necklace in turquoise).   Above is a fern leaf and shell creature encased in limestone.


A tree trunk millions of years old.  Guess it grew when the ocean receded or inundation. 


Don't know what the heck this is, but perhaps a tubeworm of some kind.


My favorite though is this fish or sea serpent.  The head is on the right and the rest of the fossil curves up to the top of the rock.  Notice all the bones and plant life scattered around.  
Well, I better get back to the pond scum.  At least I found something to break up the chore.

13 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How fascinating !
I love your fossils, Tennessee was also covered in ocean at one point, we've found fossils in the woods.
My dear husband cleans our small pond out each spring, thankfully only frogs call it home.
~Jo

Willow said...

I see a sea serpent !
How's Gracie doing these days Donna ?

donna baker said...

She's good but I still want to get her a friend so she won't be lonely. Thought about a pony, donkey or goat. I put the spring chicks in her tack room and she keep reaching over her stall and unplugging the extention cord to the warming light. If she can tear something up, she will.

jerilanders said...

Fabulous fossils Donna! I've never found a fossil, but if I did, It would be much more precious than jewelry to me as well. Our stinky frog pond needs to be completely dumped and mended this year, It is pathetic and I don't know how the frogs can stand it. They will have to take up residence in the creek for a while. Jeri Landers

RachelD said...

What a break that is! All those wonderful jewels from before time was---can't you just feel the heat of their day and the wind in the hundred-foot ferns overhead? I cannot ever get my mind around how long it must have taken them to encase, and what held them firm and whole as the stone settled about them. Splendid specimens you have---the highes works of art..

And perhaps it's my skittery mind, but I can plainly see a tiny dragon in the top of the indecipherable one: see how his little head is at the top, facing left with his almost seahorse face, and his body curled behind? all the curl at the bottom might be a hydra he's vanquished, with but one head left to cut.

Don't mind me---I'm 90% imagination and the other ten silly.

rachel

La Table De Nana said...

Our pond is the size of a bathtub..but it is a chore I dislike also..Smelly and wet :)

Love your fossils..they are treasures Donna..I never knew that about Oklahoma..

donna baker said...

Rachel, we are alike in that respect. I see things in objects too. In fact, I wet the fossils because the things show up better when wet.

Divine Theatre said...

Donna,

Gracie and I really enjoyed this post. However, I am glad we don't live near snakes. Not that I fear them, they are just so darn sneaky. :)
I am off to read more of your posts...I have been gone from Blogland for a while.

xo

Andie

Divine Theatre said...

How do I follow you? Is there a link? Am I missing it? Please help me! I don't want to miss any of your posts!

xo

Andie

donna baker said...

Andie, I was wondering what you were up to. Missed your posts for a while too. If you will just write down my site in the upper left corner, then go to your dashboard and click add. Then, just type in http://www.gatheratthefarm.blogspot.com. I don't know how to do it any other way.

It's Just Dottie said...

I have never seen a fossil. They look like a very special treasure. As for the pool I know it is lovely......but
I am so afraid of snakes!! I don't even like writing the word. I grew up on a rice farm.
Smiles,Dottie

Cobalt Violet said...

That reminds me. I need to clean my bathroom. ;p
Ha! Anyway, the whole snake thing is freaking me out a bit.
I don't mind snakes out in the world, but in the water?? Ahhhh!
Very cool fossil collection Donna!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Donna - good luck with that pond cleaning...I sure would be like you getting it done before them there snakes came out - Yuk! Didn't realize about Oklahoma being covered with an ocean...Yikes hope that doesn't happen again. Wow those fossils are awesome too. Take care and have a delightful day (after you get that pond finished)!