"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Short-Legged Beasties


I love leaving my windows and doors open in spring and fall - let all the cool, fresh air in.

But, I don't like all the other things trying to get inside.  Besides big, huge brown spiders all clambering to get in before the cold, this thing crawled up my leg last night while sitting at my computer.  I thought, 'what in the world is that, an earthworm'?  When I saw what it was, I screamed and tried to slap it off my leg, but with all those creepy, clingy legs, it just kept on coming.

I finally got it off and stepped on it.  Almost gave me a heart attack but at least it didn't sting me. I have seen this species of centipede before, years ago, climbing a tree. It was over six inches long and as big around as a finger.  I would have had a heart attack if that one had been crawling up my leg.

I wasn't as lucky with the red hornet this week that got me on my palm.  Within an hour, my arm and hand looked like Popeye's.

13 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I have screens on my windows, can't be doing with all those bugs :)
Your bug was huge, sorry to read the hornet stung you, they are nasty little buggers.
~Jo

Rachel Phillips said...

Hello Donna, I am going to follow your blog. You don't sound that alright.

Rachel Phillips said...

Sorry, I mean you sound alright. Great start there!

rjerdee said...

Those creepy crawlies are so disrespectful!!! We have these dumb little lizards that wait in the sun by the door...waiting to come in. And I can never figure out why. There's nothing in here for them. Food, heat, or shelter.

donna baker said...

Yes, that sting was two days of torture. I too have screened doors and windows, but somehow, the beasties crawl in. Not much bothers me, but big spiders, scorpions and centipedes. Oh, and large sharks.

donna baker said...

Ha Rachel. Sometimes I am and sometimes not. Nice to meet you.

donna baker said...

Are they the ones with blue tails? Teeny baby peepers wait to hop in my back door and I find them later, dry as a bone.

La Table De Nana said...

They give me the heebie jeebies..
I am not an unbrave girl..as you will see ..when watching The Knick:)

But finding things like these? Not my cup of tea. In Fl..little lizarsd are everywhere..so fast! Here we are under siege..asian ladybugs..every warm fall..a slew of them emerge all over QC and Ontario..
They smell and they bite.

helen tilston said...

Oh Donna you are brave. I try and console myself by thinking they have lived long before I came into the world and will be around after me. Hope you sting has healed

Helen

Sara Louise said...

The joys of living in the country! There was a gecko in my bathroom a few weeks ago, I know that they eat bugs so I'm supposed to like them, but I really prefer them eating bugs OUTSIDE! :)

gésbi said...

We have something similar in the Touraine region that I had never seen before having our country house. Great for Halloween, right? I've almost gotten used to spiders when they aren't too big, but the wicked, hairy (ours are hairy,too) centipedes make my blood freeze.

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Donna - everything does try to get in this time of the year...black hairy spiders are frequent visitors at my house. So sorry about your palm - those hornets are vicious - what a sting they pack. Hope you are doing better. Take care and watch for those creepy things...thank goodness it wasn't in your bed - Ugh!!

jerilanders said...

Good Lord! And I thought the stink bugs were bad! If that crawled up my leg I would die of fright.