"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Mellow Yellow


Well, I started out this post and was going to title it bitch, bitch, bitch.  With all the hard work on the gardens this spring and summer, we'll be lucky to get much.  The rare spring and early summer torrential rains did a number on the vegetables and fruits and now an outbreak of tomato hornworms has killed/denuded most of my tomatoes, my favorite fruits in the home garden.


But, the weeds have no problems growing.  I've had poison ivy already this summer and the ticks are in plentiful numbers.


I did see a baby Buddha's hand last night on my citron tree.  After nearly losing everything in my greenhouse this winter due to the propane heater running out of fuel, I have a few different citrus trees putting on some fruits.


May be able to make some more limoncello this year.  I could drink that whole bottle right now (but it would kill me).  But, then, I think, in spite of the 100 degree temperatures we are having and will have through August, it really isn't that bad.  I can take it.  I'll just stay in the house for the rest of the summer, or as they say about when life gives you lemons...


I'm going to the city today to see my kids and grandkids.  That is what I need.  Oliver chilling way back several summers ago.  He just turned 6.  How did that happen?


Isobel is excited to play in the sprinkler and she'll be 8 in September.  Will wonders never cease?


And my baby bumblebee, Penny Lane, is about to turn 6 months old.  What more can a person ask for?  

17 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Nothing.
There's the money..:) The last 3 pics:)


Back to the caterpillar..wow.
And your limoncello looks great a DD and my husband and son-in-laws love it too.
Have fun~

donna baker said...

So right Monique. I don't really like limoncello. It tastes like lemon gasoline to me. I just need the crutch right now, though I rarely ever drink alcohol. Only the sissy frozen drinks. You have a great weekend.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Donna- I feel your pain regarding your garden. I just discovered somewhere hiding I have a huge tomato worm. I looked and looked for that sucker. When I find him he will be history. There is ever little I kill but when something messes with my tomatoes I become quite the killer!
Love seeing your grandkids. Looks to me like you know what is really important. Have a great day!

Ry @ Sotto Il Monte Vineyards said...

Gorgeous children! I just spent the day playing with my grandson at the Six Flags water park in San Antonio. It never fails to make my heart smile when I spend time with him.
I've just about given up on planting anything new this summer. Between the heat, the ravenous deer and a dodgy well..... It is all I can do to keep what I have alive. Enjoy your time in the city with your little ones!
Cheers!
Ry

donna baker said...

Debbie, only another gardener knows the work that goes into it, to then have a failed crop. Those hornworms are huge; can take out a plant in a day. I've thrown them to the pond fish. Oddly, the chickens wouldn't eat them. Guess too big? Have a good weekend.

donna baker said...

Oh thank you Ry. I need to take mine to a water park. They would love that. The heat and deer are killing me. And, everything else, so the grand babies will be a nice break. You have a good rest of the summer.

La Petite Gallery said...

What an adorable child, give her a hug for me. The move is a must see, it's life.

Frances said...

Donna, it's a big old shame about the summer assault on your garden. Those vile hornworms certainly do not feature in any of my country dreams. Wretched gobblers.

After having many NYC rain forecasts come to nothing as the showers passed us by, yesterday was the day It Rained. Of and on, light and heavy, for hours and hours. I think the accumulation was almost two inches, and by the time I left work last evening the air was somewhat pleasant. I think it will be another hot one today, but without too much humidity. It's that humidity that does me in.

I am so sorry that you and yours have put so much work into your garden and now have to watch nature encourage that lemoncello making. I find the Buddha hands fruits very beautiful, in a quite strange way.

I find the photographs of those fabulous grandchilden totally charming! Have a grand weekend. xo

donna baker said...

Thank you Yvonne.

donna baker said...

Yes, it's a dire year for growing here, plus I lost 5 fruit trees from the floods. That was a lot of rain. I'd be happy for clouds at this point. It is just horribly hot and humid. I love the Buddha's hands too. Very large and perfume scented, they are beautiful and all have a different shape. Got mine at Logee's greenhouse and it would grow nicely in a sunny window. Just don't put it in a large pot so it will stay manageable. I learned, by mistake, don't plant citrus in the largest pots you can find as they grow too large and are too heavy. Thank you for putting up with photos of the grands. I just can't help myself.

Elizabeth said...

Such glorious yellows and such lovely children!
Henry who was just born yesterday is off to kindergarten next month!

elaine said...

I have never heard of hornworms - sorry to hear they have decimated your tomato crop - gardening is full of ups and downs isn't it. Those Buddhas hands look truly disgusting - what do they taste like?

elaine said...

P.s. Those photos of your grandchildren are truly delightful - lucky you.

donna baker said...

Thank you Elizabeth and I know what you mean.

donna baker said...

Thank you so Elaine. The Buddha's hands are full of pith/nothing. The are cooked in a sugar syrup as sucket and served as a fruit dish, but it's not something that I would like to eat. A snickers or baked good are what I would reach for. They smell of heaven though. I wish I could describe it. Citrusy, but with a perfumed scent - just heavenly. Just wanted it for my citrus collection. They are the oldest known citron/citrus.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh, those smiles, those faces make it all worth while....dang those BUGS! Oh Donna, what a disappointment it must have been to see those chubster worms eat your tomatoes.....our weather is cooking up something strange, and our plants (and us) will have to adjust. While our dear friends in California and other states don't get enough rain, some of us get a deluge that wipes out our crops/flowers. My petunias were doing well until HAIL came along and clobbered them!

But ya got the kids and grands....sweet as summer berry pie. AND THANK YOU so kindly for coming to visit. MARCH ON!

jerilanders said...

My chickens would gobble up those nasty hornworms in an hour. Oh well, too late now. Our garden was very disappointing this year as well, not sure if it was the torrents of rain ,or the fact that I am not much of a vegetable and fruit expert. It's good you can escape to the city to see your grands, the heck with those horn-worms!