"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

I Can't Comment Or See


Well hell.  I've needed to go see the optometrist as it has been a couple of years and I am supposed to go yearly to have my eyes dilated and checked.  It is just last on my list for this year and I still haven't done it.  I took my glasses off for a moment and laid them on my lap.  When I realized they weren't on my face, I started to get up and crack - I stepped on them.

In the US, Medicare doesn't cover eye exams or glasses.  You have to go to the eye doctor, have the tests done, then pick out frames and have the lenses made with add-ons of course.  This pair cost about $800.00 (the frames were about $125-150).  Guess I have to go quickly as my old glasses aren't strong enough.  

Still having comment problems. Google has a large lawsuit over Google+ and has deleted it.  Chrome is also being sued over something or other.  I'm just waiting for Google to fix it.

It has gone from fall to winter in a week.  I actually had to put on a tee shirt and socks last night to sleep in. I also had to put up all my citrus plants yesterday because freezing temps were in the forecast.  Got stabbed in my scalp and hands and arm for my efforts by inch long thorns. Yes, I am kvetching.


19 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope you resolve your mystery soon. I miss you.

Tom Stephenson said...

Oculus Reparo....

Bea said...

Oh, no! It's okay to kvetch. We have to get it out somehow. :)

Elephant's Child said...

I am a firm believer in 'give us this day our daily whinge'. Better out than in.
I do hope you get some solutions soon - and feel for you on the glasses front. And on the garden inflicted wounds.

Anonymous said...

Miss you too Joanne and others too. Be thinking of you tomorrow. And, I meant Medicare.

Anonymous said...

I miss talking to you Tom. I did think of super glue or tape, but they'll probably sit askew on my face and I'll look crazy.

Anonymous said...

I did Bea, and I can't comment on your drawings and stuff because you don't accept anon comments. I still read them though.

Anonymous said...

It is so irritating Child. I've got my old glasses on, but they aren't strong enough. I got it out. 24 hours, now it's done. Also, been shampooing the carpet and vacuuming today and I do not like to do that.

Birdie said...

We do have Universal Health Care in Canada but it doesn’t cover eye exams or glasses. I have a very complicated prescription as well as as eye disease so my glasses end up costing in the thousands. I have since discovered that Costco is by the far most affordable for the exam and the lenses.
Sorry about your glasses. There is something so memorable about the Crrrrrrunch of glasses being pulverized. It’s a sound of money needing to be spent. Once I put mine beside me when I was napping. Woke up to the crunch. Never did that again.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I can't tell you how many pairs of reading glasses I have stepped on and broken, but I keep plenty of them on hand.
I've never liked Google + and refused to jump through their hoops in order to leave a comment.
Our first real taste of Fall this week, candles are burning 😁
Duck tape works well....
Hugs,
Jo

oldgreymareprimitives said...

sorry dear- bad start to the week : ( I don't have vision insurance either but I have found some good affordable Drs attached to glasses places. My kids buy their glasses on line and save a bundle. They use warby parker and I have bought two pair this way also. I had the prescription checked at a local store after I received and it was spot on. Maybe this will help you?

Anonymous said...

Oh Birdie, my favorite name. Our state is voting to allow eye exams at Wal Mart instead of having to do it the expensive way. The pair I had before the broken one was over $1200. without the exams. I can't understand why it isn't covered, especially since us older people are the ones that need them most.

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh Jo. I might be able to find black duct tape so it won't be so obvious. I can't see far away or close up. Bi-focals without lines, with Crizal, tinted to darken in the sun et al. They've probably come up with something else I'll need.

Anonymous said...

Our state is voting in Nov. to allow eye exams and glasses in Wal Mart. I will have to search where I can go here and get them more cheaply. It is just a pain. How did your appt. go?

angryparsnip said...

Oh My Goodness.
Never take your glasses off !
What an awful start to your week and YES ! kvetch all you want.
There are some eye places on line but first I need a eye check up.

cheers, parsnip and badger

Anonymous said...

Gayle, I can't even decide on which frames while trying them on, I don't know how I'd ever decide ordering them online. I would have to run to the post office a hundred times, sending them back and forth.

ellen abbott said...

seems I missed this one. my supplemental paid for my eye exam but not my glasses. Fortunately they gave me a discount on the lenses but then I lost them in the flood. the only reason I got them was because I couldn't pass the eye test to get my DL renewed but I swear they didn't make me see any better while driving. I just went and got some readers from the drugstore for close up and which I keep handy in case I am ever stopped.

Anonymous said...

I was pissed when I heard that crack. I am making an appointment today. It would be so much better if I just needed reading glasses. It is a pain to have to jump through these hoops and the extra expense.

Down by the sea said...

Hope you get your glass sorted and google comments both things must be so frustrating for you. Sarah x