"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Monday, February 9, 2009

Olden Days

This old Mercury Flyer is from the 20's. It has a little box in the back to stack coal or a dolly. The tike sits astride the engine and steers from the handlbars on top as he scoots around the house. My grand daughter loves it.


This has got to be the oldest skateboard in existence. You should see the wheels - all metal. I don't know when the earliest skate board came into existence, but I think this must be from around 1960. It says Roller Derby on top.








Aren't these the cutest old skis? They couldn't be more than 14" long. Can't you just see the little child skiing in these? I can't imagine how they could do more than stand up let alone go down a little hill without tumbling. The little buckles and straps are all that would hold the skis on. Kind of like the old key roller skates we used to wear - not very dependable. The black skis in front are child-sized too and only have small leather straps and buckles.

3 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Those are the neatest items !
I have an old Radio Flyer, but not THAT old..
My grandson (the skateboarder) would just love that old skateboard, you mean to tell me they had them back in the 60s ?
Didn't know they were around then.

donna baker said...

Josephine I'm not sure when they started the sport, but it would be fun to see an early boarder skate on the stuff they have today - or vice versa.

Anonymous said...

Very cute.
I see you like painted game boards too.