"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Horses

I love this print. It is a large one and with the glass in front and the glare, I had a devil of a time photographing it. I got this at the flea market, but I have seen another one there and a friend also had this print in her shop so it probably isn't too hard to find.
As early in my youth as I can remember, I had a fascination with horses. I rode ponies when I was 3 or so and that is all I wanted to do. Around 5th grade, I began to draw them and knew all of their parts and anatomy. Finally, as a young teen I painted my father's radio station and earned enough to buy a quarter horse. He was a bay gelding and I thought he was Black Beauty or Flicka. When it became too tiresome to saddle him, I began riding him bareback and we would fly. Or, I might say I would fly, flipping over and over his head. I bet I got thrown a couple of hundred times. But, I always got back on. Back then, I would grab a hank of his mane and jump and sling my legs over his back. Now, I would have to climb a step stool to get up.
I went away to college and never returned home (to live). I really want another horse now; would love to have several. I think those days of riding are the fondest memories I have of my childhood.

1 comment:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

OOOh Donna, a post very dear to my own heart !
As you know, my love for horses goes back to my teenage years, and it's something I will carry with me forever...
What happened to your horse ?
I hope you are able to get another one, especailly since you have the land !