"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Scent of Heaven

I'll admit it. I love perfume. I wear it everyday. I put in on my bedding (hoping for sweet dreams to come). I must have been a French woman in another life. Yes, I know some people don't like to smell perfume, so they can plug their noses and hurry by. That is, unless I smell a certain scent on someone else and then ugggggg! Nerve gas must smell the same. Nevertheless, I used to wear Chanel 5 in junior high school. Then Shalimar in high school and no, I'm not proud that I wore these, there just weren't very many options in my town. I have tried so many different kinds - read about different essences and perfumers. Alas, the same thing always happens. I shell out the money for a bottle, get home and gag. I can't even let my daughters have it because I don't ever want to smell it again. Then, so many years ago that I can't remember when, I read about Antonia's Flowers in a magazine. A few years passed and I found it in a Texas store. It is my all time favorite. It comes in absoluto, parfum, shower gel, lotion and the most beautiful soap I have ever seen. When I place my yearly order, I have to call the Hampton's store (factory?) and they always say, Oklahoma? Antonia Bellannca (I can't remember how to spell her last name) has been making it and selling it from the Hampton's for a long time. The top note is freesia. She also makes two or three other scents now. One, Tiempe Passatt, is a love song her grandfather wrote for her grandmother. She appears regularly on the Barefoot Contessa, with Ina Garten, on the Food Network. Ina has even showcased her products in her own home. I wish you could smell it. Perfume Nirvana. Oh, yes, the other scent I wear, is a lotion. Every time I wear it, men and women stop me and ask what fragrance I am wearing. It is Clinique's Aromatics lotion. The perfume is much too strong.

6 comments:

Barbara Wells Sarudy said...

Sounds divine. What is that phone # ? Barbara

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh, I love the smell of perfumes that are not overbearing...
We don't wear perfumes in the workplace, since so many people are allergic nowadays, and so I wear lotion with a hint of 'clean fragrance' that being cool cucumber and lime.
On special occasions I love to wear a dab of perfume, I feel more feminine.
I shall ask at the Clinique counter for a sample of your Aromatics lotion.

Tess Kincaid said...

I wear perfume every single day of my life. Wish you had a scratch and sniff feature!

Anonymous said...

As long as you never were Flower Bomb again, we're good. I really do not like that one! Love, Cady

Xi said...

Hi Donna
How are you? I hope you are well.


I've been a bit busy with Ines, but i´m really happy with her.

Warm greetings from Chile.

donna baker said...

Barbara, I couldn't find a phone number but the address is Antonia's Flowers, Inc. East Hampton, New York 11937 Bet you can find it on Google or Ask.com.