"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

"Gather ye rose-buds while ye may." Robert Herrick

Hello Friends!

Friends, Romans, countrymen...y'all. Foodies, gardeners, artists and collectors - let's gather together to share and possibly learn a thing or two in the mix.

Donna Baker

Monday, August 17, 2009

SUNFLOWER LOVE


Here is a whopper sunflower in my garden. I thought I would give you some information about them; went to Wikipedia and my eyes quickly began to glaze over and when I got to the mathematics of sunflowers, I checked out. I did glean a few tidbits FYI.
Sunflowers are native to the Americas. The Spaniard conquerors tried to suppress cultivation of it because of its association with solar religion and warfare. Native Americans planted sunflowers on the north edges of their gardens as a "fourth sister" to the better known three sisters combination of corn, beans and squash. The Russians used sunflowers to extract toxic ingredients and metals from the soil after the Chernobyl disaster.
But in my little corner of the world, the heads face east at sunrise every morning and over the course of the day, follow the sun from east to west. I love that. The squirrels will get mine before I do. Nevertheless, I still eat raw unsalted sunflower seeds on my Cheerios every morning.

5 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I had raspberries on my Cheerios this morning. Let's just hope the Russians didn't eat those sunflower seeds.

Wonderful pic.

trash talk said...

Nothing will make me smile faster than to see sunflowers growing along the side of a road.
One year I had sunflower seed mix for the wild birds and the next, sunflowers everywhere! Nature takes care of its own!
Debbie

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Sunflowers are the sweetest flowers. This one is huge !
I wanted to plant seeds this year, but never did, though I have a few straglers dotting the landscape, 'spect from the birdfeeders.
They just scream summer...

kanishk said...

Sunflowers are the sweetest flowers. This one is huge


Work From Home

La Table De Nana said...

They are favorites of mine:)